Yazoo County African-American Heritage Tour
Tour length: Approx. 5 hrs.
Arrive at Yazoo County Convention & Visitors Bureau Office and Visitor Center
Travel to Oakes African American Cultural Center
(UPDATE: The Oakes House is currently closed for renovations. We will update you as soon as the Center has re-opened, hopefully by mid/late 2015. Stay tuned.)
Tour Oakes African American Cultural Center
(A showcase of the African American Culture in Yazoo County)
Stop in front of Ubon’s Restaurant, Visit Gatemouth Moore’s Blues Trail Marker
Stop in front of St. Francis, Visit St. Francis Mission School Marker
Stop in front of Yazoo City Amtrak Platform, Visit Tommy McClennan’s Blues Trail Marker
Leave for Bentonia, Mississippi
Lunch at Hall of Fame Restaurant (or other group choice)
Arrive at the Blue Front Cafe
Hear the History of Bentonia Style Blues told by Jimmy Duck Holmes
Bentonia Style Music performed by Jimmy Duck Holmes,
Stop by and view the 3 MS Blues Trail Markers in Bentonia, MS
-Blue Front Cafe
Leave for Next Destination
Some Other Available Attractions:
- Civil Rights March Historical Marker: Location, Oak Grove AME Church, Benton MS.
- Yazoo Pass Expedition Historical Marker: Location, Mike Espy Dr.
- Starling Wilburn House: Location, Bell Road.
- Wells Ranch: Location, Bentonia area (off Old Dover Road)
- Rudy Shields Memorial: Location, Campanella Park (corner of 7th and Dr. MLK Jr. Dr. in Yazoo City)
- Tour the Sam Olden Yazoo Historical Society Museum
- more available – call to discuss your groups interests and needs – 800-381-0662 or Contact Us