431 South Main Street
Yazoo City, Mississippi
Wash Rose, a former slave, came to Yazoo City from South Carolina in 1866 and started a blacksmith shop in this two-story brick building, circa 1870. With its heavy, tall arched and shaped parapet and denticulated cornice, this is one of the oldest remaining commercial buildings in Yazoo City, having survived the Fire of 1904.
*Photo from 2010. Unfortunately, a portion of this building collapsed in 2018.