South of Yazoo City on the bluffs you can find Bell Road, part of the first roadway connecting Yazoo City to Vicksburg. This historic pathway is reminiscent of the original Natchez Trace, with one well-trodden stretch so narrow, deep and curving that a teamster could not see if another wagon was coming from the opposite direction. Because of this a bell was placed at either end to give warning signals as each wagon was about to enter, hence the name “Bell Road.” Take Broadway to Monroe, then to Ridge Road and take a right on Bell Road.
Blue Front Café
107 East Railroad Ave., Bentonia, MS
Contact: Jimmy “Duck” Holmes
Founded in 1948, the Blue Front Café offers live Delta blues including the unique Bentonia-style, the genre of such Blues greats as Skip James, Jack Owens and Bud Spires. Call for entertainment schedules. See more under Delta Blues
Confederate Memorial Monument
332 North Main Street
The Confederate Monument, located on the grounds of the Triangle Cultural Center, is dedicated to the women of the Confederacy, one of only two such monuments in the State of Mississippi.
Corner of Grady Avenue and Mike Espy Drive
The Glenwood Cemetery property was given to Yazoo City by riverboat Captain and Mrs. John Willis on March 20, 1856. After the gift of the Glenwood, the citizens buried earlier in the first city cemetery on Jefferson Street were moved here. It serves all the people of this community, all races and religions. Guided and dramatized tours of Glenwood Cemetery are held annually. The tour includes the graves of notables who helped settle the land and form the town. It usually ends with the grave of the “Witch of Yazoo”, who according to legend, as recorded by the late Willie Morris in many of his books, broke the chains around her grave and burned down the town of Yazoo City on May 25, 1904. It seems very appropriate that Willie Morris who loved the cemetery, spent countless hours of his childhood roaming its hills, played taps for war veterans who were buried here, is himself buried exactly thirteen steps from the grave of the old woman he enjoyed talking and writing about.
Goose Egg Park
Located on Grand Avenue about ten blocks north of Canal Street, Goose Egg Park served as a “turn-around” loop once used by the Yazoo City street car system. That system established in 1909 was city-owned, the first such municipal system in Mississippi and the second in the United States.
Grave of the Witch of Yazoo
Located in the middle of the Glenwood Cemetery is a grave surrounded by chain links known as, “The Witch’s Grave”. The legend of the Witch of Yazoo became famous in Willie Morris’ book, Good Old Boy published in 1971. This story is an example of the unusual folklore surrounding Yazoo County. Others however, have pointed out that the grave was there long before Morris was born and that the chain had been broken for a long time.
The Fire of 1904 destroyed over 200 residences and nearly every business was ruined. Half of the population of Yazoo City was directly affected by the fire. Many theories evolved as to how the fire started but none were conclusive. Some say the witch became the scapegoat but who knows?
Greg Harkins Woodworks
3808 Bend Road, Vaughan, MS
Call for an appointment
(662) 673-8229 or (601) 362-4233
Greg Harkins Woodworks, in Vaughan is the home of talented woodworker Greg Harkins, who builds custom-designed plantation rocking chairs using techniques passed down from the 1800s. He is known as “Chairmaker to the Presidents,” having built chairs and donated them to every president since Jimmy Carter, including one for President George W. Bush in 2002.
Yazoo Expedition MS Historic Marker
Mike Espy Drive (by the Police Dept.)
This historical marker tells of the 1864 occupation of Yazoo City by a Union task force. In March of that year, Confederate forces, including African-American troops, attacked the Federals and a skirmish ensued on Benton Road and in the streets of Yazoo City.