Explore Yazoo County, Mississippi. Colorful. Authentic. Unique. Just like you.
Yazoo Visitor Info : M-F, 8A-5P CDT
800-381-0662

News

Stubblefield Plantation

Stubblefield Plantation www.mnubox.com/pages/payday loan emergency moneyhow can i get a cash loan today Black Jack Road The Stubblefield Plantation house was built circa 1872 by Simon P. Stubblefield.  The story goes that he returned from the Civil War wounded but made a crop and set about building the house.  The actual planning and work was done by “Old Mory,” an ex-slave who had built many of the homes in the area.  Still the original house in many respects, Stubblefield features grand double entry doors with sidelights and six  towering boxed columns supporting the front of the house.  It is the third residence to occupy the land patented to William Henry Stubblefield, a pioneer settler of Yazoo County, in 1832 on original land grants signed by Andrew Jackson.

Read More...

Dalton House

Dalton House 10000 bad credit loans 214 South Monroe Street Yazoo City, Mississippi Possibly the oldest remaining house in Yazoo City, the Dalton House is much altered in its present form.  This house is recorded as having been sold with the property in 1837. The windows and the siding of the present structure are replacements of around 1900, but two original windows with blinds remain, relocated to the attic gables.  The in-set porch probably had rectangular section box columns, at some time replaced by the present turned-Victorian posts.

Read More...

The Bull Homestead

The Bull Homestead and Cemetery Hwy. 16 near the Big Black River The Bull Homestead consists of an early vernacular hall-and-parlor galleried cottage, built circa 1835 and enlarged about 1848, several adjacent outbuildings and barns, and a family cemetery.  Situated on a knoll, the house faces north and is surrounded by large magnolia trees.  This house and farmstead, dating from the settlement period of Yazoo County, has remained in the same family for five generations.  The house is remarkably well preserved and a rare survivor of this type of architecture in central Mississippi.  The Bull Cemetery is one of the earliest in eastern Yazoo County.

Read More...

Tinsley Oil Field

Tinsley Oil Field On Hwy. 49 at Little Yazoo, 5 miles east of Tinsley Oil Field Oil was first discovered in Mississippi in 1939 just west of here on the Mississippi River in the Gulf Coast region.  The discovery of oil at Tinsley Field in Yazoo County marked the beginning of commercial production of petroleum products in Mississippi.  During its first 50 years, 220,000,000 barrels of oil were produced.

Read More...

Starling-Wilburn House

Starling-Wilburn House 1416 Bell Road Yazoo City, Mississippi inaccurate creditgreenwoods personal credit Historically known as the Mosely-Woods house, this house was built ca. 1860 and purchased by William Mosely in 1880.  It is one of the oldest African American residences continuously owned by the same family in the Yazoo City area.  This house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.

Read More...

C.S.S. Arkansas

C.S.S. Arkansas West Broadway Yazoo City, Mississippi Launched on July 14, 1862 from the Navy Yard in Yazoo City, the ironclad ram “Arkansas” commanded by Lt. Isaac N. Brown successfully engaged the combined Union fleets on the Yazoo and Mississippi rivers.  She met the Union vessels “Queen of the West,” “Tyler,” and “Carondelet” on July 15, 1862.  The “Arkansas” ran past thirty-nine Union vessels on her way to Vicksburg, helping to end the first exclusively naval siege of Vicksburg.  The ironclad was scuttled north of Baton Rouge on August 5, 1862, to prevent capture by Union forces.

Read More...

Civil Rights March

Civil Rights March In front of Oak Grove A.M.E. Church, Hwy 16 East beyond Benton, Mississippi In June 1966 a march for voting rights, en route from Yazoo City to Jackson, camped here while passing through Benton.  The marchers, including Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., were provided food and water by members of the Oak Grove A.M.E. Church and by members of the Woods family, who owned property next to the church.

Read More...

B.S. Ricks Memorial Library

B.S. Ricks Memorial Library 310 N. Main Street Yazoo City, Mississippi 662-746-5557 Visit Ricks Memorial Library (Yazoo Library Association) on Facebook  Built in 1900 and given to the Yazoo Library Association by Mrs. Fannie Ricks in memory of her husband, this example of Beaux Arts Classicism continues to serve Yazoo City and County as a public library.  The Ricks Memorial Library was the first property in Yazoo County and the first public library in Mississippi entered on the National Register of Historic Places.  It is the oldest public library building in the state still in use, and has also been designated a Mississippi Literary Landmark in recognition of its association with author Willie Morris.

Read More...

Bethel A.M.E. Church

Bethel A.M.E. Church 214 S. Monroe St. Yazoo City, Mississippi Organized in 1868, Bethel is the oldest African American congregation in Yazoo City.  After affiliating with the African Methodist Episcopal Church, the congregation moved to this site in 1890.  Designed by A.S. King, Bethel A.M.E. is one of the earliest brick churches built by African Americans in Mississippi, and is the only downtown Yazoo City church building left standing after the fire of 1904.  Although the building has had alterations, Bethel retains its historic Romanesque Revival tower, whose steeple is clad in sheet metal panels stamped to resemble shingles. Download the Yazoo City Historic Churches Self-Guided Tour in PDF format here!  

Read More...

Glenwood Cemetery

Glenwood Cemetery, located in Yazoo City, dates back to at least 1856.  A stone marker notes the cemetery property was given to the city by Capt. John Willis and his wife Annie.  A simple marker is placed before a large plot near the creek where the bodies of many Confederate soldiers are buried.  An early newspaper article says they died in the Civil War hospital located on South Main Street.  Located not far from the fountain in Glenwood is a grave surrounded by chain links.  This is known as “The Witch’s Grave.”  The legend of the Witch that burned Yazoo City in 1904 became famous in a book written by Willie Morris.  Morris’ grave is located 13 steps south of the Witch’s grave. Tours are available for groups or individuals, but must be scheduled in advance. Fees may apply. The Yazoo County CVB (Visit Yazoo) can assist your group with

Read More...
Page 21 of 22« First...10...1819202122

Get the latest!

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter
For Email Newsletters you can trust

Yazoo County CVB

Yazoo County Convention & Visitors Bureau
P.O. Box 186
110 N Jerry Clower Blvd, Suite S
Yazoo City, Mississippi 39194
Toll Free: (800) 381-0662
Phone: (662) 746-1815
Fax: (662) 746-1816

Connect with VisitYazoo!
Visit Yazoo on Twitter

Visit the Delta

Visit Mississippi