Explore Yazoo County, Mississippi. Colorful. Authentic. Unique. Just like you.
Yazoo Visitor Info : M-F, 8A-5P CDT
800-381-0662

News

Bell Road

Bell Road wall street heavyweightnationwide cash loans Once a Native American trail, this sunken roadway later served ox-drawn carts.  The road, still in use today, is so narrow that only one vehicle can pass through at a time.  At one time, a bell was located at both ends to warn that someone was entering… and so it became known as Bell Road.

Read More...

Yazoo County Courthouse

Yazoo County Courthouse Corner of Broadway and Washington Street in Yazoo City A three story, hip roof, stuccoed brick structure, the current county courthouse was completed in 1872.  This building replaced an 1849 Greek Revival structure designed by William Nichols, the architect of the Old Capitol Building and the Governor’s Mansion. That building was burned in 1864 by Union soldiers.  An octagonal cupola housing the town clock is a notable feature of this Beaux Arts Classical building.

Read More...

Woodbine

Woodbine Hwy. 433, 2 miles west of Bentonia Built in 1841, this antebellum house has been completely restored to its original splendor. Woodbine was built by John and Louraine Johnson and named for the profusion of Virginia creeper that grows in the surrounding woods. This impressive house is set far back on a rise in a beautiful woodland. Woodbine Plantation was home to famed Bentonia bluesman Nehemiah “Skip” James.

Read More...

Wilson-Gilruth House

Wilson-Gilruth House 326 East Madison Street Yazoo City, Mississippi The largest surviving house of the pre-Civil War period in Yazoo City, the Wilson-Gilruth House was probably built soon after the site was purchased in 1846.  The front of the house comprises two levels of porches with rectangular section columns and turned balustrades.  The original Greek Revival character is somewhat masked by decorative woodwork screens inserted between the columns, probably about 1881.  However, many of the architectural details from the 1846 construction remain intact.  It is believed that the house was pre-cut and shipped down from Cincinnati, Ohio.  In the 1990s, a screened porch addition earned a “most sympathetic addition” award from the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Download our Historic Homes Self-Guided Tour in PDF format here!

Read More...

Wash Rose Building

Wash Rose Building 431 South Main Street Yazoo City, Mississippi Wash Rose, a former slave, came to Yazoo City from South Carolina in 1866 and started a blacksmith shop in this two-story brick building, circa 1870. With its heavy, tall arched and shaped parapet and denticulated cornice, this is one of the oldest remaining commercial buildings in Yazoo City, having survived the Fire of 1904.

Read More...

Triangle Cultural Center

Triangle Cultural Center 332 North Main Street Yazoo City, Mississippi This building, Yazoo’s Main Street School from the time it was built in early 1904, was purchased in 1977 by the Yazoo Library Association through the civic and monetary efforts of citizens and businesses of Yazoo. It now belongs to the city of Yazoo City.  The Main Street front is notable for its monumental portico of gigantic modified Ionic columns. The Sam Olden Yazoo Historical Society Museum, the William Duke Carter Collection of Antique Tools, the Yazoo City School of Dance, various art and music classes and events held throughout the year, the building’s theater, and its history make it an educational and cultural center for local citizens and for tourists.  It is considered by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History to be one of the finest examples of a turn of the twentieth-century school in the state. The Triangle

Read More...

Payne-Seward House

Payne-Seward House 118 Grand Avenue Yazoo City, Mississippi This Victorian home in the Queen Anne Style was designed by Elijah E. Myers, a leading proponent of public architecture and known as the greatest builder  of state capitols in the latter half of the 19th century.  A. M. Payne, the son of the owner of Koalunsa, a plantation overlooking the Yazoo River, built this house in 1891. Download our Historic Homes Self-Guided Tour in PDF format here!

Read More...

No Mistake Plantation

No Mistake Plantation possibly somewhat small South of Satartia on Hwy. 3 No Mistake Plantation, originally a 10,000 acre cotton plantation near Satartia, was established in 1833 by James and Nathaniel Dick, wealthy and prominent New Orleans merchants.  James Dick wrote his brother Nathaniel about the land, and his brother advised that “we would make no mistake buying that land.”  John Monroe Dick acted as the overseer of the plantation before the Civil War.  This house was originally the overseer’s home and is a one-and-a-half story cottage with a sloping dormered roof supported by eight columns on the broad veranda.  After becoming manager of the farm, Francis Pleasant Smith purchased the property from the earlier owners in 1888.  Later this farm, under the ownership of William Henry (Billy) Smith and later his wife, Ethel Barfield Smith, became known for its beautiful gardens. In the 1990s, No Mistake Plantation became a bed

Read More...

Home Place

Home Place Midway Community For at least five generations, the Swayze Home Place has been farmed by the same family.  Richard Swayze received an original land grant in 1832.  His first home still stands and is used as a tool shed today.  The present home was built in the 1850s.  This farm has been recognized nationally for its conservation practices.

Read More...

Stubblefield Plantation

Stubblefield Plantation www.mnubox.com/pages/payday loan emergency moneyhow can i get a cash loan today Black Jack Road The Stubblefield Plantation house was built circa 1872 by Simon P. Stubblefield.  The story goes that he returned from the Civil War wounded but made a crop and set about building the house.  The actual planning and work was done by “Old Mory,” an ex-slave who had built many of the homes in the area.  Still the original house in many respects, Stubblefield features grand double entry doors with sidelights and six  towering boxed columns supporting the front of the house.  It is the third residence to occupy the land patented to William Henry Stubblefield, a pioneer settler of Yazoo County, in 1832 on original land grants signed by Andrew Jackson.

Read More...
Page 20 of 22« First...10...1819202122

Get the latest!

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter
For Email Newsletters you can trust

Yazoo County CVB

Yazoo County Convention & Visitors Bureau
P.O. Box 186
110 N Jerry Clower Blvd, Suite S
Yazoo City, Mississippi 39194
Toll Free: (800) 381-0662
Phone: (662) 746-1815
Fax: (662) 746-1816

Connect with VisitYazoo!
Visit Yazoo on Twitter

Visit the Delta

Visit Mississippi