Explore Yazoo County, Mississippi. Colorful. Authentic. Unique. Just like you.
Yazoo Visitor Info : M-F, 8A-5P CDT
800-381-0662

Historic Sites

Big John Hart House

Big John Hart House, on Castle Chapel Road, was originally located in Harttown but moved to its current location.  Built by Big John Hart in 1843, the house represents a typical antebellum vernacular Greek Revival planter’s cottage.  A distinctive feature of the house is its original trompe l’oeil  decorative wall paintings that have been preserved in their entirety.

Read More...

Confederate Monument

The Confederate Monument, located on the Triangle Grounds in Yazoo City, is 24 feet tall on a base and pedestal of granite with bronze figures featuring a Confederate soldier and a woman holding a flag.  The unveiling took place in 1909 during a daylong celebration and parade.  This memorial is erected to perpetuate the memory of the noble courage and self-sacrificing devotion of the women of the Confederacy.

Read More...

Crump Fountain

Crump Fountain, at the corner of Main and Washington St. in Yazoo City, honors George Crump whose estate provided funding for school purposes.  At the base of the cast iron fountain, a bonze tablet acknowledges the gift of Crump and the services of Mr. E. Drenning in securing it.  The fountain was restored in 2010 through the efforts of the community, including the Yazoo Historical Society and the Yazoo County CVB.

Read More...

Pugh-Blundell House

Pugh-Blundell House 333 East Powell Street Yazoo City, Mississippi This fine raised cottage in the Greek Revival style was probably erected shortly after the property was acquired in 1849.  Square columns with applied lattice mold ornamentation support the inset porch roof with a full basement at the ground level, masked somewhat by a partial fill terrace at the front lawn.  Monumental two-panel, Greek Revival doors open directly into double parlors across the front that retain their original mantel pieces. This home is currently under restoration. Download our Historic Homes Self-Guided Tour in PDF format here!

Read More...

Rudy Shields Memorial

Rudy Shields Memorial Located at Campanella Park at the corner of 7th and Martin Luther King Drive in Yazoo City, the Rudy Shields Memorial honors the civil rights activist responsible for over 30 boycotts in the state, including one in Yazoo City.  He was also active in voter registration.  Shields is buried in the New Hope Church Cemetery in Benton.

Read More...

Black Jack Church

Black Jack Church Black Jack Church, near Deasonville, was founded by early settlers after the Choctaw Indians ceded their lands at Dancing Rabbit Creek in 1830.  It was organized in 1843.  The cemetery, with graves dating back to 1858, is at the site of the original church building.  The present church was built across the road in 1924.

Read More...

Bell Road

Bell Road wall street heavyweightnationwide cash loans Once a Native American trail, this sunken roadway later served ox-drawn carts.  The road, still in use today, is so narrow that only one vehicle can pass through at a time.  At one time, a bell was located at both ends to warn that someone was entering… and so it became known as Bell Road.

Read More...

Yazoo County Courthouse

Yazoo County Courthouse Corner of Broadway and Washington Street in Yazoo City A three story, hip roof, stuccoed brick structure, the current county courthouse was completed in 1872.  This building replaced an 1849 Greek Revival structure designed by William Nichols, the architect of the Old Capitol Building and the Governor’s Mansion. That building was burned in 1864 by Union soldiers.  An octagonal cupola housing the town clock is a notable feature of this Beaux Arts Classical building.

Read More...

Woodbine

Woodbine Hwy. 433, 2 miles west of Bentonia Built in 1841, this antebellum house has been completely restored to its original splendor. Woodbine was built by John and Louraine Johnson and named for the profusion of Virginia creeper that grows in the surrounding woods. This impressive house is set far back on a rise in a beautiful woodland. Woodbine Plantation was home to famed Bentonia bluesman Nehemiah “Skip” James.

Read More...

Wilson-Gilruth House

Wilson-Gilruth House 326 East Madison Street Yazoo City, Mississippi The largest surviving house of the pre-Civil War period in Yazoo City, the Wilson-Gilruth House was probably built soon after the site was purchased in 1846.  The front of the house comprises two levels of porches with rectangular section columns and turned balustrades.  The original Greek Revival character is somewhat masked by decorative woodwork screens inserted between the columns, probably about 1881.  However, many of the architectural details from the 1846 construction remain intact.  It is believed that the house was pre-cut and shipped down from Cincinnati, Ohio.  In the 1990s, a screened porch addition earned a “most sympathetic addition” award from the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Download our Historic Homes Self-Guided Tour in PDF format here!

Read More...
Page 2 of 41234

Get the latest!

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter
For Email Newsletters you can trust

Yazoo County CVB

Yazoo County Convention & Visitors Bureau
P.O. Box 186
110 N Jerry Clower Blvd, Suite S
Yazoo City, Mississippi 39194
Toll Free: (800) 381-0662
Phone: (662) 746-1815
Fax: (662) 746-1816

Connect with VisitYazoo!
Visit Yazoo on Twitter

Visit the Delta

Visit Mississippi